News and Events
News Around the Community
Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony & Holiday Open House
Join us on November 30th from 5:30 pm-8:00 pm as we light our tree and get in the mood for giving. Live music, hot cocoa, and festive bites abound. And don’t forget Santa! He’s visiting the Cape to hear your Christmas wish and pose for your photo opp.
- 5:30pm - Doors open
- 6:00pm - Photos with Santa begin!
- 6:00pm - Kids Activity Room Opens for Coloring and Cookie Decorating
- 7:30pm - Tree Lighting Ceremony begins!
- Throughout the evening enjoy live entertainment by Carlsbad High School’s Jazz Band and Orchestra Quartet
Local retailers join us with booths full of SoCal gifts—the perfect time to knock out your holiday shopping with unique pieces from our skillful, artistic, and stylish community. Retailers include Breathe Love Jewelry, Couture By The Sea, TeaDonna, Kurtasaurus, AnaSus Accessories, Sugar Mamma Caramels, The Giving Crate, SurfRide Adventure Lounge, and Ocean Crest Spa. Plus enjoy complimentary tastings from Health-Ade Kombucha.
The event is complimentary and open to all ages. However this year we’ve partnered with Toys for Tots, so if you would like to start your gift giving early bring an unwrapped toy to donate! Also, as a kick off to the giving season, 10% of all Chandler’s restaurant dinner sales that night will be donated to the Carlsbad Educational Foundation.
Bring a friend. Bring the kids. Decorate a cookie (or two, we won’t tell) and enjoy an evening both merry and bright.
Ponto Beachfront Development Reviews Committee (PBDRC) update:
Several members of the committee met with Carlsbad City Staff from the Parks, Engineering and Planning departments recently to discuss two important areas of concern.
The PBDRC has determined that the Southwest quadrant of Carlsbad has a parks deficient wherein this finding was pointed out at the meeting. The City has taken the position that the planned Veteran’s Park, located near Faraday and Cannon, will satisfy this deficiency for our area. The PBDRC stated that this location was not readily or safely accessible to the residents of neither San Pacifico nor the other surrounding areas.
The PBDRC has also determined that our area lacks the amount of open space as required by the city. Currently the city is unwilling to revisit this important issue or review past staff decisions on this matter.
The PBDRC is not accepting of either of these city staff positons and is planning on meeting with individual City Council Members regarding our findings. The responses from the individual council members will determine the next steps of the PBDRC.
Please visit http://www.pontolocals.com/ for reference
News Around Town
Reduce Waste This Holiday Season
Help Carlsbad reduce trash going to the landfill this holiday season:
• Skip wrapping paper. “Wrap” gifts in reusable bags and boxes. Or, turn part of the gift into the wrapping, like scarves, dishtowels or even a pair of socks.
• Reuse ribbons and bows. “If every family reused just two feet of holiday ribbon, the 38,000 miles of ribbon saved could tie a bow around the entire planet,” says Stanford University.
• Use cloth tablecloths and napkins. Skip throwaway paper products, even if they’re made from recycled paper.
• Discontinue catalogs. When you get catalogs in the mail, call the customer service numbers and ask to have your address removed right then and there. Browse and get coupons online.
• Give experiences, not a lot of stuff. Skip wrapping altogether by giving (and asking for) the gift of experiences or contributions to your favorite charity, rather than more stuff.
Events Around Town
Holiday at the Rancho Dec. 2, 5 – 8 p.m. $10 per person, kids ages 3 and under are free
Leo Carrillo Ranch Historic Park, 760-434-2843
Leo Carrillo Ranch is the perfect setting for a classic holiday feel with carolers, a tree lighting, cookie decorating, crafts and train rides. Face painting, an outdoor movie and a special visit by Santa are also included.
Foreign Film Fridays 4 and 7 p.m., Free
Ruby G. Schulman Auditorium Carlsbad City Library (Dove Lane) 760-602-2090
Join other movie lovers for this film series celebrating the best of foreign films
Dec. 1, Dheepan (France, R)
Dec. 15, The King of Masks (China, NR)
Family Open Studios Dec. 2, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.,
Free Ruby G. Schulman Auditorium Carlsbad City Library (Dove Lane) 760-602-2090
Families love this all-ages art-making event. Tour the art gallery and then create art with the help of professional art educators and talented volunteers. Enjoy a performing art performance as part of the experience.
Library Holiday Concerts
Saturday, Dec. 2, 7 p.m., Free
Ruby G. Schulman Auditorium Carlsbad City Library (Dove Lane)
Jessica Fichot-From Paris to Shanghai: Holidays Around the World!
Thursday, Dec. 7, 6:30 p.m., Free
Carlsbad City Library Learning Center 3368 Eureka Place
Saturday, Dec. 9, 2 p.m., Free
Georgina Cole Library Community Room 1250 Carlsbad Village Drive
Clay Colton Duo - Cole 50th Anniversary Celebration
Events Around The County